Okay, so you’ve installed your Windows 7 and (regardless of why) you’re suddenly bugged by a message that “you may be a victim of software piracy” along with your display background being changed to BLACK (my default anyway – lol) and you find that your screen now displays a rather irremovable message just above the clock that reads something like this:
This copy of Windows is not genuine”
Here is the no frills method of nipping this nag in the noggin:
- Start Menu > Search for CMD, RightClick and “Run as Administrator”
- C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SLMGR -REARM
- You should then get a message that alerts you that the command completed successfully & a restart is needed; if not, repeat the process. DON’T restart yet..
- Goto Control Panel > Programs & Features > View installed updates
- Search for & uninstall the update : “KB971033”
- Restart your system and reset your desktop background to the silly cat dumbery you had before.
- Alternatively, you could stroll your browser over to Amazon and purchase Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (inexpensively), with Genuine Product Key and DVD to install Windows 7 on up to 3 Computers without downloading.
- Smile and share.